The kids are calling it delusion. The audacity of you to believe that you are larger than life, that you are a star amongst planets. The unmitigated gall to live outlandishly, rather than live inside the box we designed specifically for you. How dare you desire more, crave more, BE more? We know our place; we stay in our lane. You think you're better than us? Who do you think you are?
This past week I watched a YouTube video by think femininity. called "the art of strategic delusion," that struck the deepest depths of my soul. The video takes a look at how Doechii strategically used her circumstances to catapult herself to fame and mainstream success. While the creator uses the word delusion, I assume a nod to its widespread use on the internet; what it specifically points to is Doechii's courage to be unapologetically herself. The confidence to be the person she always dreamed of being, and doing the work that aligns with that. And it got me to thinking...is confidence the cure to insecurity?
I decided then that if I am to be a writer waiting on a better opportunity, I'd better start writing so opportunity knew where to come looking. To have the courage to call myself by the name of the person she'd come looking for. It's much more difficult to be insecure when you are exactly who you say you are. When there's tangible proof of what you've created, no one can give you an ill-fitting label. Cause like Williamson said, "Who are you not to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? You are a child of God, and your playing small does not serve the world."
So, my fellow artist. Whatever your chosen medium, don't be afraid to be exactly who you were meant to be: an artist.
As always, it's a pleasure to have you here down at the Noir Narrative.
- All my love, Kiah.